Find out Tips on How to Maintain Your Newly Whitened Teeth
Having a bright smile is as easy as going to your dentist and getting a dental whitening treatment or using reliable at-home dental whitening treatments. Using whitening strips, pens, toothpaste and even mouthwash are all great ways to supplement your usual dental hygiene habits that will not only make sure that your teeth look beautiful but they feel wonderful as well.
However, over time, the exposure to food and drinks such as coffee, soft drinks, teas and red wine and also smoking tobacco can eventually and slowly darken your whitened teeth. But luckily, we gathered a few steps that you can take to make sure your pearly whites remain, well, white. It only requires a small effort to make sure that they remain looking their best.
Here are some tips that can help you maintain your newly whitened teeth:
• Opt for whitening toothpaste to get rid of surface stains and prevent the teeth from yellowing
• Brush your teeth after consuming beverages or foods that cause staining
• If you can’t brush, then make sure to rinse your mouth immediately after consuming stain-causing beverages or foods
• As much as possible, use a straw to drink stain-causing beverages such as coffee, tea, soft drinks and red wine
• Avoid wearing orange or brown-based lipstick shades
• When you can, opt for blue or pink based lipsticks that help make your teeth appear whiter and brighter.
• Assess your teeth if you need a touch up dental whitening treatment
• Quit smoking tobacco since this can cause discoloration to the teeth
Basically, you may need to get a touch up in six months or a year after your dental whitening treatment, depending on the whitening method you used. However, if you tend to smoke or drink coffee a lot, then you may need to receive more touch ups.
After dental whitening treatment, it is likely that you will have sensitive teeth. If this happens, there are certain steps that you can do to lessen the pain.
• You can use toothpaste for sensitive teeth. There are formulated with ingredients just like potassium nitrate that helps relieve pain due to sensitive teeth.
• You can chew xylitol gum. These not only helps produce more saliva that washes away bacteria and cleans the teeth but it can also distract people from the pain.
• You can avoid or delay dental whitening sessions and give your teeth a break from using whitening products.