Automotive coatings market size set to exceed $28 billion by 2022: Global Market Insights, Inc.
Automotive coatings market size was calculated at 3.76 million tons in 2014, as per the latest research report by Global Market Insights, Inc. Increase in consumer preference to safeguard the vehicle from foreign particles, UV radiation, extreme temperature conditions and acid rain will boost global automotive coatings market size. Key attributing factors, aesthetic appearance and durability, also play significant role in influencing consumer preference.
Automotive coatings market size is set to register USD 28.3 billion by 2022. Automotive refinish coatings market will positively influence demand owing to increase in number of vehicle body and repair shops for damage recovery & timely maintenance.
Solvent borne coatings dominated the demand by accounting over 43% of the total volume in 2014. Solvent borne technology is predicted to sluggishly grow owing to stringent measures taken by regulators to curb VoC emissions, particularly in the U.S. and EU.
In the U.S., manufacturers of paints & coatings should comply with regulations levied by EPA. This has led to increase usage of waterborne, powder and UV-cured coatings.
Key raw materials, titanium oxide, additives, pigments and resins face supply imbalance and price fluctuations, which may affect costing and result in upswing of automotive coating market price.
Technology innovation towards reducing manufacturing costs and enhancing product performance may provide new growth opportunities and increase industry profitability.
To access sample pages or view this report in detail along with the table of contents, please on click the link below:
Key insights from the report include:
- Global automotive coatings market size is forecast to grow at 4.9% CAGR and reach 5.51 million tons by 2022.
- Basecoat automotive coatings demand was largest and accounted for over 38% of the total demand in 2014. Basecoat products, mainly metallic paints, pearlescent paints and solid paints, are preferred by OEMs to impart exterior aesthetics and decorative effects.
- Metal applications were dominant and accounted for over 70% of the total automotive coating market share in 2014. Predominant use of steel and aluminum for vehicle production is expected driver influencing demand.
- Plastic applications, influenced by vehicle weight reduction along with better fuel efficiency, expect highest gains at 5.2% CAGR up to 2022.
- APAC, led by India and China automotive coatings market size, was dominant regional base, with overall consumption of over 2 million tons in 2014. Favorable regulations supporting FDI to set up automobile base in China, India, Indonesia and Thailand coupled with rise in per-capita disposable income, expects surge in demand.
- China light vehicle OEM demand generated close to USD 1.8 billion in 2014 and expects to significantly grow at over 5.2% CAGR up to 2022.
- North America, dominated by U.S. consumer base, most likely will generate over USD 5.5 billion revenue by 2022. U.S. waterborne automotive coatings market size was worth over USD 870 million in 2014.
- Germany powder coatings demand was worth close to USD 290 million in 2014. This technology expects to grow at significant rate with over 4.5% CAGR by 2022.
- Global automotive coatings market share is competitive and consolidated, with PPG Industries, Axalta, BASF and Kansai catering to major industry demand. Nippon, AkzoNobel, Arkema, Berger, Eastman, DSM and Solvay are among notable key industry players.